Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Happy New Year Everyone!

So it seems like I missed a few major holidays. With that said....

Happy Columbus Day
Happy Veterans Day
Happy Thanksgiving
Happy Hanukkah
Merry Christmas
and Happy Kwanzaa

I think that's all of them!

During my time away I've done some soul searching (and budget balancing). I've realized that I spend wayyyy to much money on foolishness. For example: The amount of money I spend on fast food and dining out with friends was practically $125 a week (or $500 a month)! On average I spend $50 a month in washing detergent and almost $100 a month in toiletries. 

Desperate to find a way to cut down on cost I encountered this beautiful 6 letter word: FRUGAL

fru·gal
ˈfro͞ogəl/
adjective
  1. 1.
    sparing or economical with regard to money or food.


It took me a while to fully grasp the concept of frugalness. Its important to understand that being frugal does not mean being cheap, its really just being resourceful.

The first step I took was setting up an account with www.mint.com. I linked all of my accounts to my mint webpage. Mint conveniently reminds you when your payments are due, when your account is approaching its spending limit and more importantly, it tracks where and how you spend your money (that's how I came to the conclusion that I was spending too much money on food).

The second step was to look at my expenses and find alternatives. Having trouble finding alternatives? Just look online. You can make practically anything! I consider myself to be a very creative person (I paint, cook, sew and crochet). Now its time to take my creativeness to the next level.

Follow my journey into the land of Frugality! 

    




No comments:

Post a Comment