Sunday, January 26, 2014

Natural Decongestant

Brrrrrrr! It was literally 9 degrees the other day in New York! I'm not use to this weather and definitely didn't know how to dress for this weather. Of course I had a hat, scarf and coat on but evidently that wasn't enough to battle this Arctic chill. I found myself sneezing and struggling to breathe.



I immediately went to my medicine cabinet and pulled out a few ingredients that cleared me up in no time.
This past weekend I was babysitting my nephew, whose 8 months, and of course my son, whose 4 years old. They both woke up with snot and crust stuck to their face (sorry for being soo graphic but it was nasty). I immediately went to my cabinet again and whipped up the following recipe:

Ingredients
Cloves
Thyme
Rosemary
Lavender
Lemon 

Try to use essential oils because they are more concentrated and only require a little bit. If you don't have oils, regular spices, whether dried or fresh will work just fine.

Take a pot and add water. Pour in your ingredients and boil everything. After about 5 mins your house will be filled with the smell of this mixture. Your really don't have to do anything after this. The aroma helps clear your nasal passages and loosens up the mucus. Now when I say it loosens it up, it really does. My nephew had so much come out of his nose! Afterwards he was breathing just fine and so was my son.

Another natural decongestant is Apple Cider Vinegar. Take a tablespoon of this vinegar (organic is best but any kind will due) and drink it straight. Brace yourself, it doesn't taste good but gets the job done. It's not really suggested that you give small children a full dosage of vinegar although a few drops in 6 oz of water won't hurt. 

And there you have it ladies and gentlemen, a cost effective way to battle congestion. 

No comments:

Post a Comment